Monday, November 11, 2019

Somewhere: Toy Private Tstols

Earlier in the year, this project seemed very simple, and was the one I was most looking forward to. I would be able to use Photoshop and add myself to an image of somewhere I've never been. I had loads of ideas, I could place myself at Anfield Road, Liverpool's famous football stadium, I could place myself on an Formula 1 Podium, celebrating like I just won the World Driver's Championship, I could do a lot of things. But then a curveball was thrown, an extra challenge. Like in most projects, this one came with a "catch." We had to make ourselves into toys. This was only a small challenge, as I immediately knew what I should do. As a child, I loved to play with plastic army figures, I even had figures of different nations and time periods, and had a small collection. Thus, an idea popped into my head; make myself into a plastic army figure!


It wasn't the easiest, but also not the hardest thing to do. I first had to make my body look like it was plastic. Instead of adding a glossy finish, I decided to follow a tutorial on how to make myself look metallic, which surprisingly works well for looking plastic too!

Earlier, I took a photo of a background, with my hand looking to reach forward and pick me up. After adding myself, I wasn't done yet, I got an image of an actual green army figure online, and added the signature bottom piece of plastic that always forms at the bottom of the feet. Once I added that, all I needed to do was to add the tag brush, which I simply blended in with some pencil markings on the table.

2 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant toy solider representation of Taylor. I think it was clever that he put his hand in the photo. This highlighted the small dimensions of the toy solider. It also emphasized the scale of a real toy. I think the photo chosen was a good choice for a toy solider because the pose is reminiscent of realistic solider. If I would change one thing, it would be the shade of green that was chosen. It is so neon that it somewhat takes away from what could've been a realistic toy solider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvelous toy solider adaptation of yourself Taylor. The hand detail is very smart and unique as it did support in distinguishing the small dimensions. I believe the changes you made towards the base of your figure were highly effective and a smart change. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete