Wednesday, October 23, 2019

My Self Portrait 20: "Break New Ground"

When it came to making a self-portrait that could be in the style of a cool background or motivational poster, I immediately knew where I would take my inspiration:

Fifa.

I decided to base my portrait off of the Champions Edition cover for Fifa 20, the most recent installment of the soccer series, featuring Liverpool FC star Virgil Van Dijk:

Selecting my style would be the easy part, making it would be harder. First I had to get a picture to use for the screenshot. I used a full version of the image of Virgil on the cover as the inspiration to my photo: 


So, I decided to replicate his pose using my timed iPhone as a camera, a Virgil Van Dijk jersey, and tried to don a menacing look towards the camera.


I might need to work on that menacing look, but I was set. Now I just needed to get to work. Making the background for my project was quite easy. I simply made some rectangles, and made the PS4 logo at the top. The hard part would come very soon though, when I'd have to make the actual portrait part of the cover. I used a simple gradient for the background of where my body would rest, and then drew myself onto it. It took a while, roughly six hours to fix that all up. Once I finished drawing myself, I was almost finished, but I needed to add a gradient mesh! I decided to add some shadows to my arms and my face, given how shadows were most noticeable for those areas in the picture. 

Anyway, here is my final product:



Overall, I'm really proud of my work, and even though I had to forgo a few parts (I couldn't place the logo over my torso like in the actual cover, and I couldn't add the interesting bits in the background since the decisions were even more complicated,) I still think it looks very nice, and I might just print it and use it in the cover of my actual game!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite project that Taylor has done thus far. You can clearly see his inspiration and the execution done to replicate his inspiration is extremely commendable. To begin, the pose, shirt, and background are practically exact to the original. The actual self portrait itself is quite impressive too. The gradient mesh seen on his right and left cheek, forehead, and nose help make the portrait to appear realistic. The color choice is realistic and cohesive with the theme. Although this portrait is well done, if I were to add something, I would add more depth in the hair. With extra shadings and variations in opacity, he could have been able to replicate the natural tones, colors, and strands in his hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This portrait was on of my favorites as it is extremely well done in representing the original cover, while still properly displaying yourself. The details are incredible in your face and shirt and are exactly what I would expect a cover on the market to look like. I also really like the fifa and PS4 type as it is almost identical to the original cover.

    ReplyDelete